Monday, October 28, 2013

Our 1st Official 5K Run


This past Saturday we finally experienced our first official 5k run, "The Halloween Hustle". We were a little nervous about the race since we really didn't know what to expect. Upon arriving at the check-in site, we saw many individuals dressed up in some awesome costumes. At this point, I thought the race would be a joke. I wondered how those people were going to take the race serious dressed for a Halloween party.

As we got out of the car we could not help but notice how chilly it was. We checked, and the temperature was about thirty-eight degrees; I began to think that maybe this was a bad idea. After checking in and drinking a cup of coffee, I was relieved that some of the tension and nervousness were beginning to die down. I noticed one individual with some ultra-short running shorts on warming up; I thought, "Wow, either he is serious about running or he is seriously crazy." Well, come to find out he was seriuos about running. More on that later.

As we lined up to begin our race, I tried to signal for Bridgette to come up to where I was. She wanted to stay back, so I went to where she was. It was crazy to see so many people taking off with costumes on, but my attention was quickly turned away from others and to the race. We began at a pace that was faster than normal for us; however, I felt pretty good about it.

About a half mile into the race I have to admit that the inner competitor in me wanted to come out. I wanted to blaze  through the crowd and compete, but I know I would have not made it far and would have burned myself out. I found myself about twenty feet ahead of Bridgette but I was happy to see her still pushing on behind me. I knew in my heart that I could have finished with some of the runners who were ahead of me. Still, I didn't want to finish without Bridgette being that it were our first race.

After Bridgette caught up we finished our last mile or so together. Right before we made it to the finish line we heard a runner quickly approaching. And who did we see? Yeah, the individual dressed like it was eighty degrees out instead of forty. I found out that he was a very serious runner: he actually was one of the runners racing in the 10K run. Yes, he finished his 10K before we finished our 5K. This made me feel motivated to continue with my healthy lifestyle because one day I want to be in the same position as that fellow. In the end Bridgette and I cross the finish line together with her time being a couple of tenths faster than mine.

We finished our first official 5k run without walking. This was an anticipated non-scale victory for us both.
button

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments.