Thursday, October 24, 2013

Running Alone

In working to achieve a healthier and fitter self, it's important to have more than one way to measure success. Since I'm trying to lose weight, one of the ways I measure success is with a scale - pounds lost of course. I'm grateful that I am wise enough to want more than to weigh 150 pounds (or whatever magic number). I want more! I want to naturally gravitate towards healthy food choices. I want to become stronger and lift heavy weights. I want to run longer AND faster. I want to look good in my clothes. I want to feel great and be grateful each morning I wake.

I didn't actually run SOLO, I just went for a 3.1 mile run WITHOUT Fred. One of the anticipated victories on the NSV tab is running without Fred. (It was mean that I would run alone. If there were a indoor track nearby, I'd be all for it!)

It was this past Sunday: we had eaten lunch and Fred was absorbed in NFL games.  I suited up and enlisted our twelve-year-old son who is interested in running with us. I had to warn him that I was slow and that he would need to proceed slowly as he had never completed the distance. At times he was ahead of me; other times, he walked. I ran without walking though and finished four minutes faster than my typical pace for the distance. It was slow, but progress nonetheless. Go me! (Fred has gone without me several times already.)


button

4 comments:

  1. That is great! I'm at the point of finally being able to run with someone. I like the solitude and hate trying to talk when I can barely breath!

    Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I am quite the opposite and LOVE running by myself. I have to get into a "zone" and hate when people distract me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You post was exactly how I feel about this whole process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on beating your time and still getting a run in "alone" :D Oh yea...and running the whole time!

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments.