Monday, June 24, 2013

C25K W8D3

Looking back, I never would have thought I would be able to run 30 minutes without stopping. Though I don't know if I could run an entire 5K without stopping, I can honestly say that I know it is a possibility and not an impossibility. (God did that for me!)



Yesterday, Fred and I completed the last workout of our C25K app by Zen Labs; however,  we are going to do one more week of 30 minute runs before we claim to be official C25K graduates. I almost didn't want to get off the couch, but I did. I am so proud of us!

I generally let Fred set the pace for us and I just follow him. I noticed we were going faster than normal because of my breathing. (He said he couldn't feel a difference.) After he slowed it down a bit, I was able to feel more comfortable. Still, I had to engage in a lot of self talk because I felt I wanted to quit - tired, need to pee. However, one of the reasons I run is to be a healthy example for our kids. And since they were actually at the track with us, I COULDN'T quit. Talk about motivation! I don't ever want my kids to have to lose weight or get active. I want them, as kids, to grow into healthy, active lifestyles that they never outgrow as adults.

It's amazing how much of a mental exercise running is. These past eight weeks (more like twelve - many days off, a couple of repeats) have taught me that our bodies can endure sore, heavy legs, cramping, gassy stomachs, sore feet, heavy arms, dry lips, dripping sweat, boosts in speed, and other distractions - only if we get our minds to think it. I can remember during a past attempt at C25K, Fred and I were attempting the first twenty minute run of week 5. We went to the same track we went to yesterday, and I remember quitting and giving up telling Fred to go on without me. I've surpassed that milestone. What I know today is, I could have completed that run a year ago (or however long ago it was) if I didn't give in to the belief that I didn't have the ability to finish.

Today, I am not a quitter. No matter how slow I have to go, no matter if I finish last. If I start, I'll finish.


Both pictures are from Women's Runing facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments.