Sunday, July 21, 2013

Our First Nonstop 5K Run

Last night as we were getting ready for bed, Bridgette asked me how I felt about running a new route. I told her that I was just fine with it. After she told me which route she had in mind, I told her that I could see myself running the full distance. I never actually thought it would happen today. Our goal distance for today was to run a 5K or 3.1 miles nonstop. This goal was at the top of the list of goals that we've set for ourselves, and we've been on a mission to accomplish it for a few months now.


Victory is Ours!


Taking a look back at our accomplishments over the last three to four months has given me the encouragement and the will to add to our list another non-scale victory. I actually crossed one off the list about two weeks ago when I ran an eleven minute mile. I beat my anticipated time of a 12 minute mile by one whole minute. Knowing  that today I could actually cross off another non scale victory was plenty enough encouragement for me.

As each quarter mile of our run passed, I felt better. I was concerned for Bridgette and how she was doing because I knew that this would be an anticipated victory for her as well. I'm surprised to say that every time I asked her how she was doing she could answer me, "I'm Okay Baby," with free flowing words. Usually she would answer with heavy breathing and pauses between each word, but not today. She was doing great; it motivated me even more.

Around 2.5 miles Bridgette told me she was tired and needed to slow down. I was okay with that; I just didn't want her to stop. When Runkeeper signaled that we were at 2.75 miles I told Bridgette we have a little over a quarter mile left and I could hear the change in her voice. "Really?" she asked. Next thing I know we were on our last leg and she gave it all she had down the stretch, even speeding up a bit, and I sprinted to the end. 3.16 miles was my final time, and I felt like I could go another mile or two. (Bridgette stopped at 3.1 miles, but I raced to the nearby stop sign.) We gave each other a high five, and thanked the LORD that we made it.

I was an athlete up through high school, but I have never in my life run this far without walking or taking a break. It feels so good knowing that I can run a 5K nonstop. I'm motivated more than ever.  PRAISE THE LORD!

2 comments:

  1. It's so awesome that you guys hit this milestone together!! I love that you do it as a couple! I pray a lot when I run!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's probably sad to say, but I don't know how much progress I would have made with running if not for Fred. There's just no way I'm going outside to do it alone. I thank God for him daily! Hey, you're doing it too! Reading your story helps me push myself.

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments.