Thursday, July 18, 2013

Success without a Scale

In working to achieve a healthier and fitter self, it's important to have more than one way to measure success. Since I'm trying to lose weight, one of the ways I measure success is with a scale - pounds lost of course. I'm grateful that I am wise enough to want more than to weigh 150 pounds (or whatever magic number). I want more! I want to naturally gravitate towards healthy food choices. I don't want it to be a chore either. A "poor me" attitude would be self-defeating while out to eat with family and friends.

At a baby shower this past weekend, I got a small plate with party wings (I had points for), stuffed eggs, and veggies: carrots, tomatoes, celery. I tasted a cheese dip (two tablespoons) using about three chips instead of covering my entire plate with the dip and the biggest handful of chips I could grab.  And, I didn't get cake just because it was a party. It just wasn't worth it. Sometimes they are good, more often they are awful, and rarely are they great (talking about those decorated party cakes). I'd much rather have plain ol' homemade pound cake. I packed my own snacks for the six hour drives there and back: fresh fruit, homemade snack mix, LARABAR. YUM! Now I don't always make the best choices, but I did this day!

At this stage in my life I am so much more inclined to appreciate the benefits of physical exercise. I really feel so much better. This past week I've been able to increase my weights in Chalean Extreme. Just yesterday we finally covered 3.1 miles in one outing. When we started with C25K we were always pressed for time because we both work and have four kids. We wanted to get done as soon as possible. So, when the C25K app was done, we were done. Now we are reassessing our priorities and making it work. As slow as we are, we can't cover five miles in thirty minutes, so we've got to extend our workouts. Another non-scale victory I'm proud of is running just shy of 2.5 miles without taking a walking break! Some worry about speed, but endurance is most important to me right now.

For the past two weigh-ins my scale has moved the wrong way. However, I'm not discouraged because I achieve new victories EVERY day.

button

3 comments:

  1. Wahoo on 2.5 without stopping, I am more worried about endurance at this point as well!! Packing your own snacks and staying on track while at a baby shower are awesome nsv's!! Keep it up and thanks for linking up with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement Ashlee. I do wish this was as easy as it looks on tv.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for linking up! It looks like you are doing so great! Running 2.5 miles is amazing! Way to go!!! I always feel like I'm so busy and have trouble squeezing things in and then I read that you have 4 kids. . . honestly that is awesome. I'm glad that you all are making being healthy a priority!

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments.